Tuesday, October 7, 2014

October

I have finished Block 2 of Beyond the Cherry Tree. If I can just keep making one a month I will eventually have this lovely quilt made and I will also have time to continue with my other projects and finish some 'things' .


 
One of the 'things' is my Briar Hill. I have 2 rows appliqued to the background strips and there are 4 full length and 6 half size ones still to do. It is a great project for taking with me to sewing group and the Guild and will be finished over time.
 
 

Since coming back from holidays the weather has been warmer and sunnier and DH has planted out the veggie garden. The green in the middle are the Chives that have survived from last year. The rhubarb always does well and there is a lot of garlic planted. I went through last years very quickly. Unfortunately it takes 9 months before they are ready to be dug up and then I have to hang them up to dry, a slow process but they are so fresh and tasty. YUM! 


There are a wide variety of other seedlings and the tomatoes plants are still to go in.
The rest of the garden is doing well and there is a lot out in flower like the Gum Rose.
 
 

 
and these
 

 
and the Rose hedge has flowered. It is only early Spring so I hope they continue through the Summer as well.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

and the winners are

I put all the names in a baggie and DH picked three.
 

The  winner of pattern No1 is Lyn.

The winner of pattern No2 is Chantal.

and the winner for pattern No3 is Audrey.

Can you all please send me your address and I put them in the post to you.
Thank you for taking part.




Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Before the month ends.

I've been meaning to offer some of my used patterns to you who follow or read my blog. So now that I'm back from holidays here are pictures of the three I'm offering this month. There is a photo of each and of my quilts made using the pattern. They all have embroidery on the quilt.
No 1
 
    
 
I used Osnaberg behind the embroidery but linen would work too. One of the few quilts I quilted myself.

 
No 2 
The next pattern has 8 parts, again with embroidery.

 
The finished quilt.

 
No 3
This one has embroidery on several different pale cream cotton fabrics.


                                                and a close  up of my quilt.

 
If you would like one of the above patterns please leave a comment on which one you prefer and I'll get DH to pick three for the winners on the 1st October. 
 
 
While on holiday I started a new quilt. Under the Cherry Tree from Sentimental Stitches. I downloaded the pattern when it was on offer. This is Block 1.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Hexi's are made.

 I started Briar Hill quite a while ago and made the centre and then I made other things, you know how it happens. I've been sitting in the evenings making hexi's, hexi's and more hexi's and now that they are made I've 'just' to stitch them to the background. Here is the first strip ready for sewing. The white circles are freezer paper, marking the edge for turning under.

 
 
I hung each background strip up on my craft wall and then I pinned on the hexi's flowers and the rounds, mixing and matching the fabrics and colours as I went. The rounds have one, two or three layers. It will hang there while I sew each strip.
 

 
This has now become a great 'pick up and go' project.
 
 
 
 
 

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Working on a project

I received an email from P & B Textiles in July, asking me if I would like to work with some of their fabric. I replied that I normally used Reproduction fabrics but other ranges could be interesting.
This lovely bundle of FQ's arrived in the mail shortly after.

 
I then had to think of a project using 12 FQ's and remembering the Swoon pattern I had bought last year used FQ's, this worked perfectly with some white fabric from my stash. I tend to buy the same white so I used up all the strips and pieces,  leftovers, from previous quilts.
 
Here is a photo of my finished top.

 
and a photo of each block.






 
I think they all work well together with the variety of colours. The solid colours were a stripe which caused a bit of extra thinking when it came to cutting and sewing the 1/2square triangles but it was all good in the end.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Lots and lots of sewing

Most of my project have finished around the same time. I quilted and put the binding on my Bundling Board. It is made with Brushed Cottons and Felted Wools and feels lovely and soft.

 
My Coxcombs and Stars, a Jan Patek kit given to me by a generous friend, came back from the LAQ and looks absolutely wonderful. I really like how Pam quilted it and after spending quite a few evenings sewing on the binding,[ it's a large quilt] it is finished too. This photo shows half of it, because it is too big and heavy to hold or hang up, I put it over the railing along the verandah.
 
 

The Message in a Bottle quilt now has it's final border attached  and will be the next one to go to the quilters'. I hope to find another nice pattern to use some more of my Taupe and Linen fabrics again.


 
and last but not least my Sutton Grange quilt has only a small bit of sewing left to be done. A couple of the corner pieces to applicate down and it will be finished too. I'm very happy how this one has turned out.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Different fabrics


Working with different fabrics has been a lovely change from the Reproduction fabrics that I normally use. Here it the top finished. A Message in a Bottle.


 
Maybe I should call it Taupes and Linens.