Sunday, January 23, 2011

Colours of the Garden

I planted a Clematis about 5 years ago up against the lynch gate and it has not flowered until now. It is such a beautiful colour it was worth the wait and just through the gate the Salvia is in flower with the same colour. Totally unexpected as I had forgotten the colour of the Clematis and the label had long gone. 




I have been knitting in the evening and getting my Mary Brown pieces prepared for sewing. I found I still had a ball of Opal. It is a German wool designed so that when you follow the instructions on the back of the label you end up with a pair of fairisle socks. I have made one pair with this wool in different colours. As it is 3ply I thought it would make a colourful matinee jacket. The pattern for the jacket is to cast on the stitches for down the front and knit around the jacket doing the front first, putting stitches on a holder and casting on for the sleeve,then off again picking up the front stitches and continuing across the back,the other sleeve and then another front. I even had enough left to make bootees too. I will also twist the last of the wool to make the ties for the jacket and the bootees, I'm not keen on the ribbon. 



Here are my Mary Brown pieces pinned up on the wall in my sewing room. The freezer paper is still covering many of the applique pieces so the fabric I have chosen is'nt showing, yet. Time to put the needles away and do some sewing.

3 comments:

Sue said...

You have been bust again Dorothy. Your cyclman look like our CLEMATIS plants. I have a lot in my garden- When you first plant them they may not come back up for a couple of years and then they seem to burst into life. I love your Mary Brown.

Lida said...

Hallo Dorothy,
What are you busy! Your knitting looks lovely in those colours and so are the booties! Your new quilt is going great, you are so good in applique! I love to see the flowering of your garden, here the first tops of the bulbs are above the ground, hope there comes no more snoww or ice! Have a good sunday evening and I will write you! Greetings,
Lida

Lori said...

What fun knitting you have been doing! Love the sweater and booties.
The applique is gorgeous too!!